26 May 2009

Camping

So now I really am home. I was home for a day, then left for 3 1/2 days on a camping trip with friends. But now I am back for the summer.

I also got a haircut right before leaving on the camping trip. I like it. Here is a picture (with part of a cat who insisted on helping.


The camping was pretty fun. Saturday we rented canoes and rowed to the opposite side of the lake, decided to switch places, nearly left Sean - intentionally - when he went off a little ways to pee, rowed back to the middle, and got out to swim. Turned out the lake was only about 41/2 feet deep and the bottom was some nasty, mushy clay stuff. The guys of course dug into it with hands and feet and put it everywhere, while Steph and I did our best to not touch it at all. Getting back into the canoes was fun. Not because it was difficult but because the guys apparently have little common sense. Joe and Matt thought if they both climbed in at the same time it would balance it. Which I could almost agree with, however, they tried to both climb in on the same side of the canoe. The rest of us quickly grabbed the opposite side to hold it down, so the canoe didn't flip. It was pretty overcast while we were on the lake which kept us from roasting. It rained that night, but we had already gone to bed when it started so it didn't bother us.

Sunday it rained in the mid-afternoon so we mostly hung out in the tent and played card games and listened to music. The rain really cooled everything off, which was nice, but it also soaked our firewood, which was less nice. We were cooking burgers and hot dogs for dinner and we'd planned to do it over the fire. Well, we still did, but it took nearly an hour to get it going. The guys were absolutely determined to light it. They went through a lighter, a box of matches, and half a roll of toilet paper and paper towels.

Today we started packing up our stuff (after eating breakfast of course) and headed back. We got back a little earlier than I'd expected so I had about an hour and a half before I had to leave for work.

Steph took a bunch of pictures of the trip (which I'm going to steal) so I should be able to put up pictures soon enough.

No comments: