08 April 2009

Tutoring

Monday and Tuesday I went to the middle school tutoring program for the Burundian immigrants. Monday I helped one boy with his science. I don't know how much he actually understood. Science can be hard enough without trying to learn it in a foreign language. Then I helped two boys; one was working on multiplying decimals and the other was working on adding and subtracting fractions with different denominators and mixed fractions. They picked it up quickly. When they finished, I went into the computer lab for a few minutes and helped several kids. They get to play math oriented games on the computer. In one of the games the kids have to run around obstacles and avoid monsters while looking for the number to complete the equation. In the other game they have to shoot the meteors flying at them (it's set in space) and a number will appear at the top of the screen and they had to shoot the equations that equaled the number.

Tuesday I helped a couple girls for a few minutes (the girls and boys take turns on the computers since there's only a few computers) but the girls didn't really want help, so I went to the computer room and helped out there.

Today I went to work with TJ. I helped her catch up on paperwork and enter stuff into a database (just when I thought I'd escaped all that!). She was very thankful and surprised how much I got through. It was a pretty good day. And the weather finally warmed up! It's been cold and drizzly for the last couple of days.

No comments: