16 October 2008

Erters and Copters

Harold and I went to a luncheon hosted by the Red Cross to thank all the volunteer organizations that have helped them. It was at a college and they sent us through the lunch line before students started showing up. But, hey, free food. Who's gonna complain? After everyone finished eating they presented plaques. We left at about 12:30. I brought Harold back to the village and I went to Sam's to get some things we needed. Then I had to go to Wal-Mart to get RV toilet paper because I couldn't find any in Sam's. Then I had to go to Winn Dixie because neither Sam's nor Wal-Mart had sweet potatoes. Well, Wal-Mart had them, but not very many and they were individually shrink wrapped. Not exactly what you want when buying in bulk.

Henry sent me an email asking me to enter the volunteer hours into the DRD database. But he has all the time sheets. So I told him I would be happy to do it if he could tell me where to find the sheets. He doesn't know where they are, but will let me know when he finds them.

So while I waited for Henry to find everything, I took a half hour nap. Then I went to the kitchen to raid the fridge, but there were a bunch of volunteers in there (the ones cooking dinner) and they needed hamburger buns. So I ran to Sam's to get some. I didn't mind going to Sam's, but it frustrates me that I couldn't find the ones I bought earlier this week. We haven't eaten anything with hamburger buns and I bought about five bags of them. I could only find one.

Anyway, after that I took a longer nap. Chris came in and said hello. We discussed comforters because he was going to ask his mum to send him his from home (because he likes it better than the blankets he has here). He asked what an erter was. I said "I think it means comforter as in something that comforts." And he said "Oh! Then we're the comfortees!" I said yes and laughed because he'd just figured that out.

Then we went to dinner which was pulled pork sandwiches and broccoli and corn and salad. Very yummy. There's sort of a fire pit on the lawn and the volunteers lit a fire. It was nice. But I didn't stay out long because mosquitos the size of helicopters come out when the sun goes down.

Speaking of which, an actual helicopter passed me on the highway. It was on a trailer hooked up to a truck. But it was sort of funny. Look! A helicopter! On the highway!

No comments: